9/30/2015

Sad reality

I really do enjoy bird watching and having the feeders out for the birds. The sad reality of doing this though is occasionally I will probably come across a sick or injured bird. Beginning of this month I had to deal with this situation.

About 4 weeks ago while watching the birds by my father's laptop I noticed there was a bird that was hanging out on the porch by himself. I didn't really think anything of it at the time. Sometimes the house finches, which is what this bird was, seem to get separated and if they are alone on the porch they hang out there until others come back. I did try to keep an eye on it and even when the other finches came back he was keeping to himself. He did go to eat some food off the porch a couple of times.

Birds and squirrels were coming and going but this bird was still hanging around on the porch. At one point I did go outside to fill up some water and this bird didn't even notice or didn't seem too bothered by my presence.

It wasn't until almost two hours after I originally saw this bird on the porch that I realized something was seriously wrong. He was having problems standing up and collapsed to his side. I didn't really know what to do but I grabbed my gloves and went outside. He was laying on the porch on his side and he seemed to be breathing heavily. I knelt down on the ground and was lightly touching him to check him out. I didn't see anything wrong at first with him. While I was there a squirrel came near me and seemed curious as to what was going on before he wandered off in another direction.

I decided that I would go get a towel at least and move the bird on the towel. I went back out there and carefully moved the bird onto the towel. I could tell this bird was not well at all but I still didn't know what was wrong with him. While I was moving him on this towel he was looking right at me and I swear it seemed like if he could talk he would be trying to tell me thank you. I was starting to tear up and get upset. As an animal lover I don't like seeing animals suffer and even if all the animals come and go around my house I still feel as if they are my animals. I also grabbed some water and put it right by the finch just in case by some miracle he could move on his own then he would at least have some water by him.

Upon further inspection of the bird I finally saw that one of his wings was badly broken. I wish I would have seen it earlier but I honestly don't think it would of helped at all. I went back inside the house and since I was already choked up and upset I had my father call this wildlife rehab place for information. While my father was on the phone getting the information I decided to go back outside and check on this poor bird. It was too late though. The bird passed away. When my father got off the phone I told him that it was too late and the bird was gone.

I went back outside and disposed of the poor bird. I was really upset. Tears were rolling down my face. Probably seems a bit silly to some people but I truly felt terrible for what had just happened. I do realize that regardless of what I would of done that bird probably would not of made it anyways. I almost feel like this bird picked my porch and me cause maybe they knew that it would be a comfortable ending for them? Animals know this sorta stuff. I just hope in the bird's last few minutes that he was at least somewhat at peace.

I know this is not going to be the only time I am going to have to deal with something like this. It is the responsibility that you take when you decide to bring these animals into your life. I just hope I don't have to deal with this again anytime soon.

1 comment:

  1. Life is precious. I lost 2 little birds in the last few years, and I still miss them terribly. :( You're a kind soul, Nicholas, and that's a rare and beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete