8/19/2013

What a week

Couple of weeks ago my father had to be taken to the emergency room two times. He also had an overnight stay one night too. It was a bit of a hectic week for me, well us actually. Managed to make it out ok though.

On Monday morning two weeks ago my father was having difficulty with a nose bleed. I guess it was acting up over the weekend and by Monday he was just starting to drip blood. This was a concern because he is on blood thinners now and a nose bleed is not really that great of a sign. For a few hours it was going on and I finally said something to him about maybe going to get it checked out. Finally he had called the doctor and it was suggested he go to the ER or to urgent care. He decided on the ER and I had to drive him there.

First time driving someone in an emergency situation. Other then my terrible backing out job of the driveway I held it together fine. Our driveway sucks and so many other people have had a hard time backing in and out of the driveway. It is just really narrow and the approach sucks. Anyways other then almost taking out the garbage can and the recycling bin I did fine under pressure. Oh and plus it was the first time my father was in the car with me while driving. I had heard horror stories about how he reacted when he was with his other kids while driving.

We get to the emergency room and of course there was a bit of a wait until he could sign in and whatnot. Of course by the time we got there his nose wasn't really bleeding anymore. He got into an examination room and the doctor came in to see him. Might I add that before hand he was making friendly conversation with the nurses and other people there and one of them had said something about how they wanted to hire him so he can cheer people up. That is my father though, he will talk to anybody. The doctor comes in to see him and he checks everything out. Since the bleeding had stopped by then there was not much else they could do for him other then to give him some nose clamps. They had to make sure that it was safe to let him go home so he sat there for a good 20-30 mins with the nose clamp on. There was really no further bleeding so they let him go on his way.

Tuesday night around 10pm or so his nose bleed came back. Think it was around that time. This time it was much worse. He was bleeding so much that he was swallowing blood and then kinda throwing it up. He woke me up like around 1am to tell me what was going on. He was getting blood all over the place. Bed, clothes, pillows, floor, etc. He said he didn't want to go back to the ER at that time so he would wait and see how he was in a few hours. So by 6:15 in the morning I heard him calling for me. His nose seemed to have gotten worse. Again there was blood all over and he was pouring out blood. I quick got some clothes on and I drove him back to the ER. He also had a bit of blood in his poop this time too. Makes sense, he was swallowing blood.

So we are back at the ER Wednesday morning. Really time consuming process. Sitting around waiting on doctors and whatnot. Of course my father forgets one thing. He forgot his teeth. My father has false teeth and in the rush to get to the hospital he forgot to bring his teeth with. Good thing he didn't really need them. They were trying to get his bleeding under control. Did a bunch of stuff and pulled out some junk for his nose which I may add was rather disgusting. It took awhile but the bleeding finally got under control without having to pack it. The doctor was concerned a bit about the blood that was in his poop. So he was wanting to admit him to the hospital just to stay overnight for observation. Other then the bloody nose and the concerns over the blood he was doing fine. He was bored and just you know wishing he was not there. By the time he got up to the room and started to get settled in it was five hours later.

That day ended up being a pretty long day for me. At the hospital around 630am. My father told me I could go at anytime but I was not going to leave him alone in the emergency room. I got back home a little bit after noon that day. I got back at the hospital around 1pm. I had to bring my father his teeth. I stayed until about 2:30 or so. Got home a bit before 3. I left again around 4pm. Went to the bank and quick ran to the store. Got back up the hospital about 4:30 and stayed there until 6:45pm and finally got home for the night around 7pm. I was pretty beat by then. It appeared that he was only going to have an overnight stay. He had seen a ton of different doctors and whatnot. They wanted him to go for a stress test but other then that he seemed like he was good to go for only an overnight visit. When I got home I ordered some food, took a shower, and I passed out around 10pm and slept for at least a good nine hours that night. Like I said I was wiped out.

Thursday I spent most of the morning by the phone. My father was going for a stress test around 11am and then at any time after that he could be coming home. He called around 12:30pm. He didn't know when he was going to get released but said I could come up there at any time. So I got there. A few nurse visits. Nurse going over medications and changes. Few other things. A walk down the hallway at the hospital and finally he was released to go home around 2:45pm. By the time he was released there wasn't much activity going on in his nose which was a good sign. They decided to reduce the numbers on what he takes for his blood thinners.

The following day he called his normal doctor and his normal doctor wanted to see him. No rest from doctors and whatnot just yet. It was a short visit however just trying to adjust medications and generally talking about what had happened. Thankfully it was a short visit.

They wanted him to follow up with the heart doctor and then to eventually get his colon checked out before the end of the year. Today he went back to the heart doctor and his stress test showed that he is doing fine. Which other then the nose bleed he is doing fine for the most part. He has his moments where he may do a little bit too much and he has to stop and rest but other then that he is doing ok. Of course I still worry about him. I mean he is my dad after all and I love him.

So that was my week a few weeks back. I should be thankful that it turned out to be nothing way too serious. Stuff like this will happen from time to time to test a person to see how well they can handle the stress and whatnot. I think I did great. Might I add in that it is a good thing that I am still at home to help out my father when he needs it.

No comments:

Post a Comment