7/09/2013

The summer of Rush

I never claimed to be a huge Rush fan. They were a band that I knew songs by but was never a big fan. In fact I think back in high school one of my friends was a big Rush fan and I use to tell him that they were ok but they were overrated. At the time all I ever listened to was Metallica and Black Sabbath with some other bands mixed in and I couldn't break down the wall of just basically listening to that type of music. I didn't start to appreciate all sorts of music until a few years ago. Now I can pick out music of most genres that I enjoy. So back to my original point. I was never a huge Rush fan and then I saw them live last Thursday.

Something about seeing a band on 4th of July that changes my opinion on them. Last year was Iron Maiden and for the months after that show I listened to a lot of Iron Maiden getting myself familiar with songs that I never took the time to listen to. I have started to do the same thing with Rush now. I knew I was in for a good show at the Rush concert cause I have heard the stories and the person I was going with, my sister Cindy, had seen them before and told me that they put on an awesome show. I just didn't realize how good of a show it was going to be for me until I was there.

Rush did not have an opening band. Frankly bands that have been around for many years really shouldn't need an opening band. I know some bands can't stay out there for up to three hours. Rush is one of the few bands that can pull it off even though they have been around for many years. Some other bands I have seen live barely play an hour and a half before they are done. So when you go to a Rush show you expect to pay for your moneys worth.

They opened up the set with the song "Subdivisons". One of my personal favorites by them. They played 10 songs then had a intermission. Then played the majority of their new album and then some of their hits. During their first set they played lesser known songs which was ok with me. I don't mind when bands play lesser known songs. They sounded really good. The selling point  of the show for me was their stage shows. They had a background movie player going and the movies changed for each song. The show gave you not only something to listen to but to watch. Seriously by the end of the night I was convinced that their stage show was one of the best that I have seen. During intermission they had another mini movie going and then proceeded to bring out a quartet to play nine songs off their "Clockwork Angels" album. They sounded great. I recognized songs off that album cause I had listened to the album in its entirety beforehand. If there was anything I was disappointed in it would be the crowd. A lot of people were just sitting there doing nothing, I mean literally sitting down in their seat for an entire show. I don't know but I can not go to a show and sit down for the entire thing. I have to be doing something. The crowd finally came alive when they started playing some of their hits such as "XYZ" which even though is an instrumental song the crowd managed to sing along to it. "Spirit of the Radio" seemed to be the song that most people got into. Then they closed up the show with "Tom Sawyer" and "2112". They all sounded good. By the end of the show singer Geddy Lees voice didn't sound as great but hell he was singing for nearly three hours so I can understand that. Alex Lifeson, the guitarist, was great. Sometimes you don't really know how great a musician is until you see them live. Then there is Neil Peart, the drummer. Freaking amazing. He had three drum solos during the concert. His solos have always been a thing of legend. Overall though what I loved most about the show besides the constant movies in the background it was the fact that these three guys are musically gifted. Like Lee for example does more then just play bass and sing, he was also keyboarding through songs too. So it is not like they are all just there for one thing, they are always doing something other then their main instrument. That is what I love. That is why I appreciated the show and their music.

Days later I am still listening to Rush. They are becoming one of my favorite bands now. I decided that I wanted to get more familiar with all of their albums. Problem is that they have twenty studio albums but I don't let that stop me. I have listened to the first ten. Totally love their music.

Last summer was the summer of Iron Maiden and so far this summer has turned out to be the summer of Rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment