5/29/2012

A Night of Hell with Primus

Before I get into it about the Primus concert I must state that I actually enjoyed the music. Primus was really great live. I don't know all too many songs well by Primus but they are easily a band where if you don't know anything by them that you can still get into the music. This however was overshadowed by the environment of the venue in which the concert was at.

I was excited to go. I had never seen Primus live before. I was also going to a concert with people I know. My brother Jay and my sister Cindy. It had been like 16 years since I went to a concert with Cindy and I never been to a show with Jay before. We got there and there was a long line to get in. Apparently it is not always a good thing to get there right before the show starts. That is ok though. Been in longer lines before waiting for Ozzfest back in the day. We get in the ballroom and there seemed to be a lot of room left but a good amount of people in there. We managed to get in a decent spot.

Primus came on and the first song was my favorite by them "Those Damned Blue Collar Tweekers". One of the first Primus songs that I remember hearing so it just stuck with me over the years. The problem was the vocals didn't sound like they were right. It was very hard to hear what Les was singing. This problem persisted for a little bit and then it got better. I didn't recognize a lot of the songs they were playing. Like I said I am not a huge fan but I do like their music.

During the show I dealt with the usual issues that I did while I was at Manson. People moving around, having to constantly move to get out of the way, taller people stopping and standing right in front of me. I think that is one thing I hate the most. I always try to keep a bit of distance between me and the person in front of me so it turns into an aisle for people going through. That is fine but when people go through and stop right in front of you that just irritates me. It is like I was not even there.

A new problem I encountered at this show in particular was it seemed like a lot of people in the crowd didn't know what deodrant or soap was. Literally it smelt pretty bad in this place. Add in the fact that it was insanely hot in that place we had to deal with hot smelly sweaty people. I'll talk more about this in a minute. People were also very rude too. I know it happens when you go to a show. There are always some assholes in the crowd. It just seemed pretty bad. It made it difficult to enjoy a show when you are constantly dealing with some dipshit.

Ok now the heat. They really need to do something with the Eagles Ballroom. If they don't have the air cranked up prior to a show and then it gets a lot of people in the ballroom it gets insanely hot and humid. It wasn't until 2 hours into the show that the fans above us were even turned on. By then it was almost too late. We were all dripping in sweat. Some people had to be carried out of the ballroom. I really did not think I could last through that entire show with how hot it was. The heat and the people really made this concert more miserable then it should of been. I tried to enjoy it as much as I could but it seemed near impossible. Next time I want to go to the Eagles Ballroom for a show I will think twice about it.

I will say again though Primus was great. I just felt like I was in hell though and couldn't enjoy it as much as I would of liked. Les Claypool is an amazing bassist. Like seriously at times I was in awe at his bass playing. It pretty much helped me decide that in the near future I am going to invest in a bass guitar. Primus played two sets. First set was about 10 songs long and during intermission they played Popeye cartoons which was pretty cool but cause I was standing there sweating like a pig I was just wanting it to end so they could come on and play their 2nd set so we could all go home. They played hits like "Jerry was a Racecar driver" and closed with "Wyonna's Big Brown Beaver". "Eyes of the Squirrel" is a song that I can not get out of my head since the show.

So an overview. Primus was great. Les Claypool is amazing. Eagles Ballroom sucks. Sweaty smelly people suck. Next concert for me is July 4th Iron Maiden unless we do go see the Scorpions at Summerfest on June 30th. Maiden should be fun though. Outdoor show with seats!

No comments:

Post a Comment