5/26/2012

Hey, Cruel World

I realize it has been awhile since I wrote anything. So I figured I would start off with a blog about the Marilyn Manson concert I went to last week. Manson's music has been a big part of my life for the last 16 years so being able to see him live was great. Here is my review of the concert. Look at me trying to act like I am a professional concert reviewer.

It had been nearly 15 years since I last saw Manson live. I last saw him at Ozzfest in 97. He was the act that came on before Ozzy and Ozzy came on before Black Sabbath. Pretty much we had a double shot of Ozzy that night. Before that I had seen Manson one other time and that was in October of 96. I only knew of like two songs before I went to the show but I had convinced 4 other people to go with me. Despite not knowing much of anything at all I had a lot of fun at that show and I enjoyed the music. I enjoyed it so much that in the next week I bought all of his albums that were out. After that show though all 5 of us ended up getting sick. Who knows what was going around at that concert. The hall was filled with freaky looking people. Let it be known I have nothing against freaky looking people. Anyways the point of me blabbing on about this is that I felt a bit uneasy about going to a Manson show by myself. Sure it had been 15 years but you have to remember I am not one for going to shows by myself. I was willing to take a chance though. After all it was Manson.

I have to admit being there by myself was a bit boring at times. Everyone else is talking to each other having a good ole time and here I am standing there by myself. There were plenty of freaky looking people in this crowd. Chicks barely wearing anything and some guys who actually could of passed for Manson. I realize that even if a person is looking all freaky and whatnot it does not mean that they aren't nice or whatever. In fact some of those people are the nicest people. People dress like that because I think Manson's music teaches us it is ok to be our own individual and we shouldn't worry bout how others look at us. Look at some of the attire Manson has worn over the years. He definitely does not give a shit.

The Pretty Reckless came on. Taylor Momsen definitely looked hot. In recent months I have really come to like their music. Plus I also saw them live before when they opened up for Evanescence. Two of my favorite songs by them "Zombie" and "Under the Water" were played. The problem is I don't think their style of music was really fitting to be opening up for Manson. They tried to win over the crowd but the Manson crowd was just not having it. One dumbass behind me kept yelling "play some Slayer". I wanted to tell the guy to either go home and listen to Slayer or go to a Slayer concert if he wanted to hear Slayer that bad. Either way I thought The Pretty Reckless were pretty good. Taylor Momsen has a great voice and she has a lot of energy dancing around on stage. Ok so she walks around on stage dancing like a whore. What guy wouldn't like that? I know from what I read of other people who went to the Manson concert they said The Pretty Reckless sucked but I am just going to come to the conclusion that they were expecting someone heavier or they just couldn't dig the music.

It was then time for Manson to take the stage. I always hate the period of time in between bands. It is like come on already! Finally his entrance music came on and he started the set with "Hey Cruel World". His voice sounded amazing. He didn't sound tired, sick, exhausted, or drunk. He was spot on. He was full of energy trying to get the crowd into it. He went through classic songs such as "Mobscene", "Dope Show", "Disposable Teens", and then songs off the new album "No Reflection" and "Pistol Whipped". Pistol Whipped is one of my personal favorites from the new album. Something I just can't explain but I love that song. A highlight for me was "Personal Jesus". I know it isn't actually a song that he wrote but he does an amazing cover of it. I was having a lot of fun. Well as much fun as a person by himself at a concert can have. I was singing along to most of the songs played. Concerts are the one place where I don't care if other people can hear me sing cause well pretty much I am singing along with everyone else anyways. Manson had energy throughout the show. For me personally I dislike going to concerts where people just stand in one place the entire night and perform. Move around, show some energy, show the crowd that you want us there listening to your music! The last 5 songs of his set were all old stuff. The last 3 songs in particular. "Sweet Dreams" again I know this isn't techinically his song but that song is a crowd sing along song. For the next song "Antichrist Superstar" he got out his old podium from the Antichrist Superstar tour and sang from the podium. Old Manson came out during this song. He had a bible in his hand and he started to tear pages out of the bible before tossing the bible into the crowd. He followed up with the closer for the night "The Beautiful People". Overall it was a great show. He was full of energy and his voice was spot on. I was definitely happy to of gone.

I do have some complaints though and it is mainly about the venue and well I guess the people at the show. I actually do like The Rave/Eagles Ballroom. They always have a lot of good bands that come through there. That day in particular was one of the warmest we have had this year so far and it totally felt like they didn't have any a/c on. That sorta made the waiting around for bands a bit uncomfortable. I know it was really refreshing to go outside after the show. The line for the men's room was sorta ridiculous. Some guy came out of the men's room and said "it is worse then a mosh pit in there, guys are all pushing and shoving and punching just to use the bathroom". I think he was exaggerating a bit but I thought it was sorta funny. One thing I don't like about that place is it is standing room only. I mean fine you really don't go to a show to sit down anyways but what annoys me about this is people who feel the need to constantly move around on the floor while a band is playing music. Either they are going to the bathroom, getting more liquor cause they aren't drunk enough, or in the case of some people they are too damn drunk to realize what in the hell they are doing or where they are. I don't know how many times I had to move cause people wanted to get through but after awhile it was really just starting to get annoying. When I saw Evanescence back in October I did not have this problem with people wanting to walk around constantly. Last thing is do people go to a concert to actually see the band and listen to the music or do they go there to browse the internet on their phone? Personally when I go to a concert I go there to see the band, listen to the music, have fun. Some chick behind me was browsing the internet most of the time. What in the hell? You pay money to go there for what? To browse the internet? Do people desperately need the internet that badly that instead of enjoying a concert they go to a concert and browse the internet the whole time? I don't get it at all.

It was a fun night though. I am glad I went even if it was by myself. Would I go see Manson again? Definitely but next time I hope to at least go with 1 other person. At least the next 4 shows I am going to I will not be going alone. Next up for me is Primus. I wouldn't say that I am a huge Primus fan but I do like them and I look forward to seeing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment